When I first started writing this blog I had a plan to be on the first page of Google for the term Recruitment Tips, as time went on I stopped checking, partly because my focus had changed and I had turned into a blogger, scary as it may sound.
What has pleased me is that all the work I put into making Recruitment Views successful for this term, has paid off, and now I am at number one position on Google.co.uk and google.com for recruitment tips and would you believe recruitment blog.
Although I may be at number one that could and will probably change, as other sites will continue to try to compete using various SEO tricks, but none the less it certainly made me feel chuffed with myself.
What has surprised me is how few recruitment companies have taken on blogging to generate quality candidates for free, even though I have mentioned it a few times in the past.
To give you an example of how it can work, a couple of years back I was involved in finding welders. Although this was an industry that didn’t appeal to me I was able to generate candidates via Google Adwords, which I wrote about here. What I have not mentioned until now is that I set up another blog at the same time as this site purely for finding welders.
Although I hardly write on International Welder, it generates welding candidates every single day for Indeed.
So if it is something you want to try then I will give you a few of my tips.
- Get a domain that represents the keyword that a candidate would hunt for, such as welding jobs NB anything with jobs in the domain will probably have gone, so look at alternatives i.e. international-welder.
- Get a co.uk domain if you are recruiting in the UK and use a UK hosting company, I used Fasthosts.
- Optimise your site for google, ie include a site map
- Get quality links to your site, maybe from Recruitment Views, just ask.
- Update your site on a regular basis
- Use wordpress as it does most of what you need with some excellent plugins making the process painless.
- Get free advice using Aaron Wall’s SEO Book
- Get someone to do it for you and contact Adam Taylor from Brand Attention, whom I can recommend as he has worked with a few recruitment companies to date.
And if you still don’t believe me Andy Headworth is so convinced at Sirona they offer a jobinablog as a package!
I hope this helps but if you want to know more feel free to contact me direct.