Breaking into the field of recruitment can be so difficult, so with this blog it was my intention to help with some pointers on how to become a Recruitment Consultant. Although this update in the series (How to get into Recruitment) is a little late I hope to catch up in the coming weeks.
Recruitment is a fantastic industry, tough but rewarding but to be honest most people want to become a recruiter for the wrong reasons and for those it generally ends in failure. So I wanted to make one point clear, and that is a Recruitment Consultant is a SALES EXECUTIVE, so if you do not like sales I suggest you try another role.
In addition recruitment is VERY COMPETITIVE so in essence you will need to have an abundance of drive and passion, with some sales experience. Saying this I do not want to put you off, because what makes this is a great industry is that compared to general sales, this product will thank you!!
Based on this and other factors, I have put together a list of the key skills or attributes that make up a successful Consultant and if you have most of them you are most of the way there.
- Communication skills (Clear diction, articulate)
- Hard working (overtime, make calls from home if necessary)
- Sales ability (able to promote the service of your company and get commitment)
- Time Management (You will be pulled in all directions)
- Competent writer (Adverts, resumes, reports etc, although I have got away with it for many years!)
- Smart Appearance
- Able to deal with rejection
- When it is tough have the strength to keep focused
- Good Rapport skills
- A personality (helps build a rapport)
- Able to think outside the box, there is always more than one way to skin a cat!
This should help you understand what the agency is looking for, which will help you succeed or I have put you off altogether.
Powered by Qumana