And at this point I have probably put a few of you off from joining the recruitment profession, please don’t panic as some of these large recruitment consultancies have many a varied role which may suit your personality more than others. If you want to be a recruitment consultant though you really do need to have a sales mentality, a passion and a desire to succeed because at the end of the day this is a VERY COMPETITIVE MARKET.
- Good communication skills (Clear diction)
- Hard working (Keen to put in overtime make calls from home if necessary)
- Sales ability (Should be able to close the sale i.e. ask for the job)
- Time Management (You will be pulled in all directions)
- Good written Skills (Writing adds, resumes etc. although I have got away with it for many years!)
- Smart Appearance
- Able to deal with rejection
- When it is tough have the strength to keep focused
- Good Rapport skills
- A personality
- Be able to think outside the box, there is always more than one way to skin a cat!
Generally if you have just come out of University or a non sales role you will not have had much experience which is what most consultancies look for so with my next instalment I will try help you get past this hurdle. In fact most of what I will be telling you will help you get any job that you apply for.